Why Sweet Side of Swing?
Designed to serve both men and women equally, this unique WCS weekend focuses less on the patterns and more on the conversation and technique of the dance that is so often neglected. Embrace the "sweet spot" where partnership becomes a priority over patterns.This weekend also offers specialty classes for understanding music, cross-training solo movement workshops, and styling classes for leaders and followers.
GET YOUR SWEET ON!
You will learn:
- Refreshingly different aspects of learning WCS - the followers'
- How to create connection that feels amazing with every partner
- How to lead assertively & follow responsively without being
overbearing or inflexible
- How to adapt and enjoy your dance with every partner and most circumstances
- How to listen, interpret & express within the partnership
- Practical skills and techniques - beyond patterns to develop your personal movement
- How to communicate and express your musicality with style comfortably with confidence
- * Special masculine & feminine workshops on styling!
- * Special choreography, partner workshops!
- * Special solo movement workshops to incorporate into your WCS
Sweet Side of Swing Northwest is brought to you by:
Event Directors: Tom Hickey, Maryann Newmeyer & Deborah Zokol
DISCOVER YOUR SWEET SIDE
Join us for a Sweeter year!
This hotel convention-style workshop weekend is the intense immersion experience you need to renovate, revitalize, and permanently reform your West Coast Swing. The audition process and levelled workshops are designed to target your specific needs, whether you are just learning West Coast Swing or have been dancing for years. The positive, supportive, and inclusive learning atmosphere focuses on the soul of the dance - the conversation, technique, and expression - rather than the typical formula of pattern classes. Dancers walk away with fresh perspectives, tons of invaluable homework, and an empowering community mission.
This year featuring 6 amazing instructors with 6 assistants in our Innovative Instructor Mentorship Program. Multiple level west coast swing class instruction tailored specifically for you, smaller class sizes, specialty classes. Globally known DJs for 4 nights of social dancing and much more...
ALL-STAR INCENTIVE PASS
Sweet Side of Swing Northwest wants to help dancers of all levels take the next step in their development. If you are a WSDC All-Star dancer who wants to develop your skills as both a dancer and a community leader, we offer a discounted rate.
Included in your pass:
* 5 hours of leveled workshops with your peers (Level 500)
* 6+ hours of specialty workshops to develop your body movement and solo dance skills
* Ability to audit all lower level workshops for ideas and exposure
* 4 nights of social dancing
* 2 hours of our one-of-a-kind Shared Educational Experience
Whether you're looking to take your dancing to the next level, add to your teaching skills or gain skills in community building, the All-Star incentive pass will take you closer to achieving your goal.
For more details please contact us at:
SHARED EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
This is where it all comes together. This powerful culminating activity brings dancers together from all levels to work in small pods. Our pro and mentee staff will guide each pod in feedback exercises and creative projects designed to apply the skills from the weekend and build community cooperation.
NEW! ...NEWCOMER INTENSIVE
Give Your WCS a JUMP START!
There is no better way to accelerate your WCS development than 5 hours with Tessa Cunningham-Munroe. Tessa is a highly accredited master teacher and teacher trainer with 25 years experience, and co-creator of the Swing Literacy Development Method, a training program that produces better dancers, faster. No matter where or when you started learning WCS, your dancing will explode over the course of this Intensive targeted at developing dancers like you. Instead of just learning more patterns, you will improve your whole WCS game by working on fundamental skills.
Tessa will be assisted by her Mentee, Kyle FitzGerald.
For Dancers who...
Are familiar with their basic WCS patterns
Are experienced in other styles but new to WCS
Have been dancing WCS for less than 2 years
Are not currently competitive
Would like to build a stronger foundation of skills
Feel like they are missing something special
You will learn...
- Essential & delicious elasticity
- Comfortable & balanced steering & turning
- Authentic leading & following
- Improvising and playing with the music
- Becoming a popular, desirable dance partner
4 NIGHTS OF SOCIAL FUN!
Social dancing Thursday through Sunday at the hotel with our Sweet DJ team included with the event pass.
- Thursday night kick-off lesson and dance
- Friday night Meet'n'Greet Reception and Dessert Bar
- Friday & Saturday night J&J contests (with prizes)
- Saturday performances by our Sweet Side Staff
- Sunday night post-event dance on-site
- All weekend long: Team "Houses" games and activities
FREE WEST COAST SWING BEGINNER BOOT CAMP!
Thursday, June 22: 6:45 PM Check-in at Event Registration
Starts at: 7 PM
If you have no experience or never learned West Coast Swing and are curious to try it out, we have a 2 hour lesson with 1/2 hour practice time. If you feel up to it and want to join the main ballroom for a while, check in at the registration desk for a Welcome Beginner entrance pass to the main ballroom. Sponsored by the BC Swing Dance Club.
Taught by Michael & Amy Shibasaki of Burnaby, BC. Their story began in 2008 when they met at a BC Swing Dance Club dance and decided to become practice partners to improve our dancing. Along the way, they fell in love and got married.
Now they share their love of the dance with others – by offering a friendly, relaxed learning environment comfortable enough to have lots of fun on the dance floor. For the past 6 years, Michael & Amy have continued bringing West Coast Swing to the Lower Mainland by running their own group classes, traveling to other parts of British Columbia to teach workshops, as well as teaching the Beginner group classes at the BC Swing Club monthly dances in Burnaby,BC.